Tuesday 21 February 2012

Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV Pump Review

Picture courtesy of Lezyne
I'll happily admit to being a gadget geek and can easily justify adding shiny things to internet shopping baskets because of how a product looks (although I will always look at reviews before pressing the 'Confirm Payment' button.  When I recently decided I needed a new pump I assumed my normal position in front of the laptop searching online bike shops for the best solution at the right price.

A few months back I bought a puncture repair kit made by Lezyne, a company founded in 2007 that set out to design high quality cycling equipment.  I admit to falling slightly in love with its styling, daft I know for something as seemingly inconsequential as a puncture repair kit, but some things are not only functional but finished in such a way that you have no option but to admire the design process behind them.

Lezyne therefore seemed an ideal starting point for the trail pump.  My final choice is the High Volume track / trail pump that is designed for MTBs, they also do a High Pressure variant for Roadies.  The next choice was whether or not I needed a pressure gauge, I decided I didn't and that the time honoured tradition of checking tyre pressures with the thumb and forefinger squeeze hasn't done me wrong yet (I can't be arsed to get too hung up on tyre pressures I have to admit and stare blankly at people when they ask what pressures I run my tyres at).

I went for the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV after much agonising..

The rather eye watering price is £32.99, A tag would suggest normally being reserved for full on track pumps, but I have bought cheap before and usually send them spinning over next doors hedge with a frustrated drop kick after a pre-trail trial proves they match their price tag.

When it arrived it I was keen to give it a try, the weight is feather light at 150g and the quality of finish exceptional, with lazer etched logos on the handle.

There is a 60cm long hose to ensure you don't have the issue of direct attachment issues of the bike wobbling when you pump the tyre up and a thread chuck to securely fit onto the valve - this proved both a curse and blessing during my first attempt as I managed to unscrew the valve stem deflating my nicely inflated tyre within a second or two.  Once I got the hang of it though, it really did make short work of inflating my tyre (2.2" Bontrager Mud X)  From dead flat to pressure in 58 pumps *ahem*, way quicker than other trail pumps I've owned.

Whilst using it I did notice the handle is small and uncomfortable after a time (I wouldn't want to do three or four tyres in a row with it that's for sure) but with gloves on it's not unbearable - this is a common complaint though and most user reviews I've seen make mention of the same thing.

There is also a fold out foot rest (foot rest is probably stretching it a little, it's about 3" long, but it does the job of keeping the pump upright during use)

It comes with a bottle cage mount but to be honest, it's on the large side for that and I also wouldn't want to lose it so it lives in my pack instead, the weight is bugger all so it won't slow me down.


Pro's
Solid Build
Styling
Efficient
Positive Connection to tube valve

Cons
Cost
Uncomfortable handle

Overall
This is a high recommendation if you're after a well styled and effective pump, with it's high volume capability it would make an ideal companion for long trips or travel, the cons are far outweighed in my eyes





3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the comments on the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV. I have just got my Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HVG having had my Topeak Turbo Morph G foot plate break off on a tour. Makes it a pain to use. Based on my use of other Lezyne models I am hoping to have just as good an experience with the new pump.

    I noticed from your photos that you appear to have the model with the Air Bleed System (ABS) but you don't mention in your review. The ABS is meant to reduce the chances of unthreading a valve. Have you tried this?

    Oh, I have three tyres on my touring rig (Extrawheel Trailer) so no what you mean about sore hands :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the delay in replying.. as my latest post says, I've been a tad busy in other areas.. The pump does have the ABS facility, it basically allows air to be bled back into the pipe prior to removing it from the valve. Have I tried it? yes.. does it work? I have mixed feelings, the first time I used the pump I managed to unthread the valve despite the system supposedly countering this. Subsequent uses have been more successful. It's a useful feature but wouldn't be a reason to go out and buy the pump in my opinion. It's a way of engineering a potential issue in to sell a solution if that makes sense ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just curious about the ABS as you didn't mention it. My experience is much the same as yours. I am inclinded to change my brand of tube to get away from removal valves. Currently touring and had a valve that the pump likes to undo. Other than this issue the pump has been good so far :)

      Delete